Being a sick mommy = grown-up reality check

When I was growing up and got sick, my mom would prop me up on the couch with some ginger ale or yoo-hoo (anyone remember that gross stuff?! I LOVED it!), make me soup and get me crackers and I would watch cartoons and movies all day long. It was sort of awesome if you really think about it. I guess I'd have schoolwork to makeup, but it never felt like that big of a deal.

As an adult, you get sick and it's just a major inconvenience. It throws off the schedule, your house becomes a giant mess, you have to try and figure out how you're going to get food, etc. I'm pretty lucky and have an awesome husband who takes care of me most of the time so it's not all bad. But yesterday I had a major reality check. I realized Joey had only gotten 3 hours of sleep when I started to hear a fuss through the baby monitor. What happened to the days when I was sick and was taken care of? Now I'm sick and I had to take care of someone else?! Whoa. So, I dragged my sick self into the nursery, got the baby, fed him, played with him and by the time he was ready for his morning nap I felt like I'd run a marathon. Sore throat, check. Migraine, check. Fever, check. Thank goodness I'm nursing and little guy has my antibodies so he won't get this yuckiness.

So, what to do at a time like this? Call my mom. Thankfully she came and took the little man for a while, brought me all sorts of gluten-free goodies from the grocery store (no, she did not bring me yoo-hoo) and I was able to get a good several hours of uninterrupted rest. To a new mom (or should I say THIS new mom), the most glorious thing in all the world is uninterrupted rest. It's like a mirage in the middle of the desert...it just doesn't happen. But thankfully to my sickness and my mom, yesterday it did. Even in my sickness, Jesus is working for my good (Romans 8:28 in action).

I think Gavin knows I'm not feeling well because he's seriously been turning up the cute factor. You know, trying to cheer me up with his adorableness.

Photo evidence:

Chewing on everything!

Playing with his favorite toy - the green rattle!

What is THAT?!

Teething toy calming the tears you can't see. Poor little guy. 

2 comments

  1. Hope you start feeling better soon! Whenever I'm sick, I feel extra sorry for myself missing my mom. It's tough taking care of your family when you're under the weather too.

    Let me know if you need anything. You know I'm right around the corner and suddenly have a very open schedule =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! I wonder why you have such an open schedule...ha ha! :)

      Delete