Why Grace is Key in Raising a Miniature Ninja

Today was a particularly hard day in the life of Gavin and Susie. The struggle was REAL.

My son is adorable, yes. I often say it's a good thing God made him cute because my little love has the perfect makeup for the most terrible twos. I know, I know. Every parent has the stories about their kids and their terrible twos, but truly, I have never seen a case like my son. So to be honest, I'm not even mad...he's pretty amazing {name that movie}.

My kid is fast. Fast, as in I wonder if he has disappearing powers, fast. The speed in which he moves -- climbing, running, jumping...it's incredible. And then you have his incredibly active, mechanical and inquisitive mind. The kid has been doing puzzles since...forever. And, he puts them together in lightening speed (there it is again, fast). He just gets how things work. Needless to say, he has outsmarted most all baby-proofing. And then there's independence...the kid wants to do all things on his own. Offer help before he asks for it? Get a seriously wild tantrum. He wouldn't even cuddle with me until he turned two -- and then I think the only reason he wanted to was because he knew it would mean staying up later than normal. Whatever...I'll take it. Perhaps due to all the activity, the kid eats a TON of food. Literally, he eats as much as me. Whatever I eat, I double for him. Gavin's beloved "Cinny" who watches him -- and has watched kiddos in her home for many, many years -- said she's only seen one other kid who can hold a candle to Gavin's appetite. Finally, he is ridiculously strong willed. We have been consistent and tried many forms of loving discipline. We have sought counsel. I am on my third book. So badly we just want to give him healthy boundaries so that he grows up knowing that he is loved, but that the world does not revolve around him (as I believe I am loved, but the world is about and revolves around a man named Jesus; not Susie); yet two-year-old Gavin is not quick to accept that. Are you tired just reading this? Yeah, me too. I'm raising a toddler-sized Chuck Norris. 

I know he looks harmless and all, but you guys. This kid. It's getting REAL in the West house.


So, tonight...my back went out so I headed to the chiropractor and my son decided it would be fun to gag himself the entire car ride while mommy repeatedly said no...and consequently barfed all over himself. I changed him, brought him inside the chiropractor and he ran around like a mad-man refusing to sit down. I promptly swooped up my miniatuare sized ninja and got the heck out of there. After I put Gavin in the car seat and I sat taking deep breaths (Daniel Tiger says take a deep breath and count to 4 and I think it might work...sing it with me anyone?) and once the anger subsided, tears began to flow. The thoughts/lies began: "Why am I the worst mom alive? Why does my son hate me? Why can't I just make him behave?" 

In that moment I sent a novel sized text to a friend in my community group from church who has a strong willed child as well -- we have commiserated about the kicking/screaming moments a time or two. She responded so gracefully and practically and at the end reminded me, "If I didn't believe Jesus was after my child's heart I might lose all hope!" 

I was reminded in that moment that it is not my job to save my child. It's also not my job to raise him on my own. I'm also not the only one who loves him and cares about him...my God is after his heart. So, I prayed with hands in the air, surrendered and Jesus gave me two miracles -- a deep feeling of peace that my kid is going to be okay {as will I} AND my little love fell asleep for bed at 7 pm. So, I made a whole batch of cookies all for myself. I deserve earned them, don't judge. {p.s. if you're a paleo peep, these are to die for: Elena's Chocolate Chip Cookies}

So, if you too are parenting a mini-Chuck Norris, remember that Someone greater than we is after our children's precious hearts. Let's be good stewards, but leave the saving to the Savior. 

No comments